INTEGRATED PROGRAM FOR GOOD GOVERNANCE AND SUSTAINABLE LIVELIHOODS FUNDED BY CARITAS NORWAY.
Integrated Program for Good Governance and Sustainable Livelihoods
- IPGSL is a five (5) year project implemented by Caritas Gulu Archdiocese (CGA) in partnership with Caritas Uganda with funding from Caritas Norway spanning from 2013-2017.
- The IPGSL is in its second year of operation in Amuru Parish in Amuru and Nwoya Districts, Lukome Parish in Gulu District and Pader Parish in Pader District.
The IPGSL is active in three parishes of the Archdiocese:
- Pader Parish (Pader Town Council and Ogom s/c) in Pader District;
- Lukome Parish (Bungatira and Patiko s/c’s) in Gulu District and
- Amuru Parish (Otwee Town Coucil, Amuru and Lamogi sub-counties in Amuru District and Alero sub-county s/c in Nwoya district.
- IPGSL has 75 farmer groups (25 groups per parish). The initial community participants enrolled were 1,500 (500 households) per parish.
- The project targets the Widows (ers), youth, People Living with HIV/AIDS (PLWA), Persons with Disabilities (PWD), people living with chronic illnesses, orphans, elder persons at risk. Majority members fall between 20 and 65 years.
- The IPGSL program takes its direction from the nationally active Caritas Norway/Caritas Uganda Strategic Plan for Good Governance and Democracy (CN/CU Strategic Plan). To this end, it employs five Strategic Objectives:
- The IPGSL’s development objective is ‘The populations in 3 local communities in Gulu Archdiocese are participating in Democratic processes and have improved their livelihoods’.
- Objective 1: The target group has increased their civic confidence about democratic processes.
- Objective 2: The target group’s knowledge about and ability to practice and respect rule of law has increased.
- Objective 3: The target group is experiencing improved livelihoods and food security.
- Objective 4: The target groups use environmentally sustainable agriculture methods and practices environmentally-friendly methods.
- Objective 5: The target group has been sensitized on HIV/AIDS transmission, prevention, and control.
- Objective 6: Caritas Gulu has strengthened its capacity and competency as an agent of change.