CARITAS Gulu Archdiocese
Caritas Gulu Archdiocese is the Emergency Relief and Development Department of the Archdiocese of Gulu. It has the pastoral obligation to sensitize people about the Church as a community of charity and to offer charity and hope to the most disadvantaged of the society. The operations cover the districts of Gulu, Amuru, Kitgum and Pader. Which for over the last twenty years have been ravaged by the insurgent and counter insurgent wars.
The mandate given to Caritas in the Acts of the first diocesan synod from February 1996 is to:
• Provide social services.
• Support development efforts.
• Offer relief and rehabilitation services to the most vulnerable people in target communities, for holistic and sustainable integral development of the human person.
Vision, Mission and Goal
Caritas Gulu envisions a peaceful and prosperous society where self-reliance, love and care for the most vulnerable prevail. The mission Caritas Gulu is to promote peace, social justice, and integrated development in line with Christian values.
The strategic goals of Caritas Gulu is to improve living conditions of the population of Gulu Archdiocese by:
• Assisting in the provision of basic human needs to the most vulnerable people in the Archdiocese.
• Responding to emergencies and support rehabilitation efforts in the communities.
• Promoting sustainable development process in the Archdiocese.
• Contributing toward establishing lasting peace in the communities and in the region.
Core Values and Major Principles
The activities of Caritas Gulu are guided by the fundamental Christian values: Love and Solidarity, Humanity and peaceful co-existence, Social justice and faith in Christian life, Freedom and respect, Services and stewardship, Holistic view of environment, Sensitivity to human needs, Effective and efficient communication, Commitment and innovation, Intergrity, Development and self-reliance and Non-violent approaches to conflict resolution.
The Caritas ‘Option for the Poorest of the Poor’ can be summarized in the following sentences from the synod. ‘The disadvantaged and the oppressed be recognized, listened to and cared for’.
The geographical focus is the Archdiocese of Gulu with its twenty seven parishes in general. The parishes are located in the eight civic districts of Gulu, Amuru, Kitgum, Pader, Nwoya, Lamwo, Agago and Omoro. Due to resource limitation and donor partner requirements some of the interventions are implemented in specific locations only.
The Operational Goals
• To assist in the provision of basic human needs to the most vulnerable people in the Archdiocese of Gulu.
• To respond to emergencies and support rehabilitation efforts in the communities.
• To promote sustainable development processes in the Archdiocese of Gulu.
• To contribute towards establishing lasting peace in the communities and in the region.